Ever googled a recipe only to click the link and you have to go through someone’s diary before getting to the recipe?….I’m not that different, sit down, get to know me a little. Even leave a note telling me something about yourself BUT I will make this one quick.
The other night, we had family come over for dinner – on the menu we had
- Poached Chicken Burgers
- Cheeseburgers with bacon jam (drool)
- Sticky Wings
- Jalapeno Poppers
Let’s talk about the Chicken burgers tonight, I will post about the sticky wings another time soon.
The Chicken Burgers were simple yet satisfying, it had poached chicken mixed with seeded mustard mayo, cucumber and mixed lettuce. Keeping it simple is always a good idea. These are great with any bread but we chose Brioche Buns that night – best eaten cold and great lunch ideas to take to work or picnics.
The recipe below is plenty and could make more than 4 burgers, depending on how much chicken you want to use per bun. I had quite a bit of chicken mixture left which was great, it meant I could have it for lunch the next day. WOOHOO! Save myself $10 – prices for sandwiches these days are ridiculous don’t you think?
You can prep the chicken in advance because it is better to use the chicken sandwich filling cold and it also makes easier if you were making these in bulk or with other food items.
Poached Chicken Burgers with seeded mustard mayo
- 2 chicken breasts
- sliced lebanese cucumber
- mixed leaf lettuce
- 1 cup whole egg mayo
- 2 tablespoon seeded mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- bread of your choice – brioche (yum!), ciabatta, turkish – options are endless!!
- Poach the chicken breasts by placing them in a saucepan that fits them snuggly at the bottom. Fill the saucepan with cold water and cover the chicken boobs completely.
- Bring the water to the boil and them turn the heat down so the water is just simmering. Skim any of the crap that comes up.
- Simmer the chicken for approximately 25 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Leave the chicken in the hot water with the lid on the saucepan for about 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the water and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, you can prep your mustard mayo by mixing all the mayonnaise together with a pinch of salt. Set aside until the chicken has cooled.
- When the chicken breasts have cooled and with clean hands, strip the chicken into strips or you can simply cut them in chunk size pieces. up to you.
- In a bowl, mix the chicken with the mayo. Cover with cling film or in a plastic container and place in the fridge until you are ready to assemble it – if you find that the chicken looks a little dry, add some more plain mayonnaise to taste.
- To assemble (do I really need to explain this??) – layer the chicken mixture, lettuce and sliced cucumber in your sandwiches and VOILA – poached chicken sandwiches.